HomeEntertainmentCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCAR@CHIBUF@CINTEN@CLEDET@DALPIT@HOUNO@JACMIN@KCSF@PHIWSH@STLNYG@ARIATL@SEADEN@GBNE@OAKMIA@SDNYJ@BALIND@TBTruTVMTVCChc

Share | 

Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
toxicbuffy

Money : 9

PostSubject: Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists   Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 pm

CANCUN, Mexico — At least eight people were killed Tuesday after Molotov cocktails were thrown at a bar in Cancun, Mexico, a popular tourist destination for Canadians.

According to reports, the Castillo del Mar bar had allegedly reported two attempts of extortion by the Zetas drug cartel, a powerful gang suspected to be involved with multiple kidnappings, drug trafficking, killings and extortion cases. Witnesses said that six men threw the explosives that set the bar ablaze. The bar is in a residential area away from tourists.

Bill Bell, a North Vancouverite who also recently returned from a month-long trip to Cancun and Playa del Carmen, said private security or hired police officers are always standing guard in front of jewelry stores, currency exchanges and nightclubs.

“My apprehension is up, I have to admit that,” Bell said. “But for the most part, millions of Americans and Canadians visit every [year] and very few are injured.”

Darryl Proniuk, 24, returned to Vancouver from a weeklong trip to Cancun on Saturday. Having travelled to Mexico numerous times, he said the stories about targeted kidnappings, robberies and violence have never deterred him from visiting a world-class resort to soak up some sun and indulge in the vibrant nightlife. The Be Live Grand Cancun resort, where he stayed last week, appeared to be safe, he said.

“Typically, we would see a few security guards on the grounds during the day — a number which would multiply at night,” he said. “Once the sun sets, we would need to display our resort bracelets to gain entrance onto the grounds, and there would be a number of armed security guards patrolling the resort throughout the night.”

Both Proniuk and Bell believe that the bar bombing could be an isolated incident, and will consider returning to Mexico.

Police and military officials frequently set up roadblocks on highways.

Yet bloodshed still happens at tourist destinations despite the security measures.

In January, a couple from Quebec were shot during an attempted robbery in the resort town of Ixtapa, about 250 kilometres north of Acapulco on the west coast of Mexico.

Last year, a Vancouver man was shot in the neck at a nightclub in Cabo San Lucas. In 2008, a Burnaby man, also a victim of robbery, was shot three times in the head while staying at a hotel in Cabo San Lucas.

And in 2006, a Canadian couple was killed in a resort just south of Playa del Carmen.

The Canadian government typically warns travellers against going to Mexican border towns, such as Ciudad Juarez, where organized crime, urban violence and drug turf wars are particularly rampant.

“Canadians want to go somewhere exotic, and now you can get to places where you can’t go before, but we certainly recommend they exercise high degree of caution due to the high level of violence and criminal activity throughout the country,” said Ambra Bickie, spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

Bell, who has been travelling to Mexico for 10 years, said tourists should never take their safety for granted.

“I would say 99.9 per cent of honest Mexicans are friendly and relaxed, so you let your guard down when you shouldn’t,” he said. “Don’t flash your jewelry, don’t drive alone at night and don’t ever buy drugs because you’re crossing lines with people who will see you open your wallet with all that cash.”

vluk@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

http://www.canada.com/news/Eight+Cancun+bombing+raising+fear+among+Canadian+tourists/3464468/story.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djstatusdawg

Money : 5

PostSubject: Re: Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 pm

I was in Cancun earlier this year but i didn't go to that place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinMC

Money : 8
Location : 1934 East Aneheim All The Windows Are Busted Out And It's Like A Free For All Here....

PostSubject: Re: Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Cabo > Cancun...Just sayin'....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
t9xpsycho

PostSubject: Re: Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:54 pm

I went to Cozumel which is close to Cancun, it was pretty nerve racking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.com/mobmayne
djstatusdawg

PostSubject: Re: Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm

KevinMC wrote:
Cabo > Cancun...Just sayin'....

haven't been to cabo but isn't that like geared towards more of a +30 couples crowd?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists   

Back to top Go down

Eight die in Cancun bombing, raising fear among Canadian tourists
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1